Greek Pita w/ Lamb and Tzatziki
"May I have some more soosakooki, please?"
Last night we stuffed greek salad into a pita with mini lamb burgers and tzatziki. Or if you're my dad, you slathered it with "soosakooki". This recipe came from Great Food Fast and it's just that: it tasted great, it was food, and it was totally fast. Plus, with the unseasonable 60-something temperatures we've been having here in Michigan, grilling up those lamb burgers on the grill was a real treat!
Greek Pita w/ Lamb Printer friendly
- 1 1/2 lbs ground lamb
- 1/2 small onion, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tsp. chopped fresh oregano (or 1 tsp. dried)
- 4 Pitas
- Greek salad (follow your heart on this one)
1) First, make the lamb patties. Put the lamb, onion, parsley, and oregano in a medium bowl and mix it together with a fork. Gently form the mixture into about 16 small patties being careful not to over-handle them. They should be about 3/4" thick.
2) Start the grill. While it is heating, put salt on the cucumbers for the tzatziki to draw out the water. Combine the rest of the tzatziki ingredients in a bowl while the grill heats up.
3) When the grill is hot, put the lamb burgers on and cook until medium-rare (about 2-3 minutes per side). When those are done, put them on a clean plate and "tent" it with foil (don't cover it tightly- leave the sides not pressed down). Go back to the cucumber and squeeze it to get the water out of it. Mix it in with the rest of the tzatziki ingredients.
4) Put the pita on the grill for a quick minute to get it warmed up. And now it's time to eat! Spread some tzatziki in the pita, stuff some greek salad in there, and add a lamb burger or two.
Note: This is supposed to serve 4, but I found that there were lots of extra lamb burgers.
- 1/2 English cucumber, peeled, seeded, and grated
- 1/2 c plain yogurt
- 2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp. chopped fresh mint
- 1 small garlic clove
1) Sprinkle the tzatziki with salt. Let it sit for a few minutes on a paper towel and then squeeze out all the liquid.
2) In a medium bowl, combine the cucumber, yogurt, lemon juice, mint, and garlic. Season with S&P to taste. Cover and refrigerate until you're ready for it.