3.24.2012

The Golden Pancake

Amanda-Proof Pancakes
(from Paula Deen)

I love pancakes. I love cooking. I love eating. I do not, however, love eating the pancakes that I cook myself. Seriously, I have more trouble making pancakes than a dog has not wagging its tail. They come out soggy and never seem to cook all the way through.

And then came Paula Deen. I don't know why I didn't try her recipe earlier. She is, after all, the queen of comfort food. The trick? Separate the egg, beat the whites, and fold it into the batter. Every single pancake came out delicious and edible.

I'm a big eater, but I can't eat an entire batch of pancakes. (That's not true. I probably could, but I would get a wicked stomach ache.) So I cooked up the entire batch and laid the extras out on a cooling rack. Once cooled, and after I devoured my plate of fluffy goodness, I cut wax paper into small squares and laid a piece between pancakes, creating little stacks. I stuck the stacks into a plastic freezer bag, put them in the freezer, and had pancakes for days! My mom says you can lay them out on a cookie sheet and stick them in the freezer, but let's be real. Finding room in the freezer for a cookie sheet (let alone multiple cookie sheets) is just not going to happen. So I do it the lazy way. When it's time to heat them up, put them on a cookie sheet in the oven or pop them in the toaster! If you have a toaster oven, even better.

As for toppings, I'm a fan of mini chocolate chips, greek yogurt, and real maple syrup (my grandpa happens to make his own, and I'm a lucky recipient!). Oh, and powdered sugar because pancakes are always better sprinkled with powdered sugar. What are your favorite pancake toppings?


Paula Deen's Pancakes                                             Printer friendly
Recipe...
  • 1 1/4 c all-purpose flour
  • 3 Tbsp. sugar
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1 c milk
  • 2 large eggs, separated
  • 3 Tbsp. butter, melted, plus more for cooking


1) Heat your pancakes skillet over medium-ish heat. In a bowl, combine dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder, salt). In another bowl, combine milk, egg yolks, and 3 Tbsp. melted butter. Add this to the flour mixture and whisk until smooth.

2) Beat egg whites at medium-high speed with an electric mixer (unless, of course, your arm has a medium-high speed) until stiff and fold into the batter.

3) Melt some butter in the skillet, drop some batter in it, and cook until bubbles form on top and the sides look a little cooked. Flip and finish cooking until golden. If you need to keep them warm, put them on a cookie sheet in the oven at a low temperature. Otherwise, gobble them up!

No comments:

Post a Comment